If you ask me which vegetable I enjoyed a lot of this summer, I’d have to say it is a close toss up between the abundance of kale from my garden and zucchini! Zucchini is my favourite summer squash because it is so versatile. It pairs well with so many different flavours and can easily be adapted to sweet (like these Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins) or savoury dishes (like this Rose Zucchini Side Dish or these Lasagna Zucchini Boats). This is because zucchini is naturally a neutral tasting vegetable.
This soup comes together fairly quickly and only requires a handful of ingredients. By blending the soup, you end up with a creamy texture without the addition of any cream. I also recommend against peeling the zucchinis as the peel is a great source of nutrients and fibre!
Zucchini SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 medium zucchini chopped
- 4 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
- In a large pot, heat oil at medium high heat and add onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are soft and fragrant. Add minced garlic and spices. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add chopped zucchini to the pot and mix to insure zucchini is evenly coated with the spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add water or vegetable broth and increase heat to high heat. Bring soup to boil and reduce medium heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until zucchini is softened. Remove from heat.
- Using a immersion blender, puree soup in pot. Alternatively, a blender can be used to puree the soup. Transfer the soup into the blender and puree in batches. Once pureed, return soup to the pot and turn on stove to medium high heat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until it comes to a simmer. Remove form heat and serve.