Give me a muffin with a little bit of chocolate in it and I’m good for breakfast, snack time, and maybe even lunch on days I have my hands full with my 1 year old daughter! Muffins can be tricky though. Grab a muffin from your local coffee shop and you are pretty much guaranteeing an overload of calories, fat, and sugar. That’s why I like to make a batch of muffins every Sunday to last me throughout the week. These Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins had me looking for an excuse for ‘snack time’ just so I can grab one!
I like to make my baked goods whole grain whenever I can. I do this by adding in wheat bran and wheat germ, something I keep stocked in my pantry at all times. Wheat bran and wheat germ can be found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. By adding in wheat bran and wheat germ to whole wheat flour, you can make whole grain flour.
I had a whole lot of a zucchini after a trip to the Farmers’ Market, which ended up being a perfect addition to these muffins. The grated zucchini helps make the muffins very moist without giving a strong “vegetable” flavour. My husband was not looking forward to trying these muffins when I told him it had zucchini but when he took a bite into them he LOVED them! We literally had to split the batch in half so we don’t eat each others’ muffins. Adult life I tell ya.
These muffins are:
Packed with protein
High in Vitamin E, B3, zinc, and phosphorus
Filled with fibre
A perfect way to sneak in veggies!
Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Zucchini MuffinsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2.5 cups zucchini grated
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, wheat bran, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, honey, and grated zucchini.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Fold in being careful not to overmix. Add in chocolate chips and fold in.
- Evenly distribute batter into a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Optional: top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before eating.