This post is sponsored by Bothwell Cheese. As always, all opinions are my own.
I always prided myself in my spice tolerance. I mean, I used to eat a whole green chili with my food sometimes! When I got pregnant with my 2nd daughter earlier last year, I was unable to handle the heat anymore. Even a little cayenne would make my throat burn. Fortunately, I’m 9 months postpartum and have been able to enjoy spice again since then. Spice brings a whole different flavor profile to food and it’s what makes South Asian food so delicious!
A lot of my recipes are inspired by my South Asian taste buds so when I tried Bothwell’s Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper Monterey, I was pleasantly surprised by the spice level. The spice profile got me excited and thinking up of ways I can use the cheese in my recipes (while trying not to finish the cheese on its own – it was THAT good). It’s no surprise that Bothwell’s won Silver Medal for their Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper at the bi-annual World Championship of Cheese Competition.
Bothwell cheese is an extremely versatile product and can easily be enjoyed on its own or a substitution in existing recipes.
Just like spice elevates a dish in my household, so does cheese. This recipe for Tandoori Braided Chicken with Veggies brings together South Asian flavor and cheesy (spicy) goodness. Bothwell’s Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper has high heat flavor with a creamy Monterey Jack base so it complemented the tandoori flavor wonderfully.
In the most simple terms, this recipe is essentially pizza dough + cheese + toppings braided together. However, as a Registered Dietitian, I like to see how I can make it a bit healthier, without compromising on the flavor. So here’s what I did to amplify the nutrition content of my Tandoori Braided Chicken:
Made my own sauce
Made my own dough with whole wheat flour and ground flaxseed
Added a variety of veggies (broccoli, spinach, and red onions)
Included chicken breast + Bothwell Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper Monterey as a source of protein
Served the Braided Chicken with a salad
Now, it really depends on how “from scratch” you want to make this recipe. A lot of it is prep work and can be done the day before. I recommend making my dough recipe for a whole wheat option. I also REALLY recommend hunting down Bothwell’s Habanero with Cracked Pepper Cheese at your local store, by heading over here to find a list of local stores that carry it. Not only does this cheese taste great, but it is also made with 100% Canadian milk from local Manitoba farms. Trust me, you’ll taste the difference!
I am sharing all parts of the recipe below. If you have cooked chicken, pizza dough, and pizza sauce on hand, feel free to scroll down and get started with your Braided Tandoori Chicken!
Tandoori Braided Chicken with VeggiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
Tandoori Chicken Ingredients
- 1 lb chicken breast diced
- 1 Tbsp yogurt
- 2 Tbsp tandoori masala
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 envelope instant yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp basil
- ½ cup strained tomatoes
- ½ tsp maple syrup
Tandoori Braided Chicken Ingredients
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ package Bothwell Habanero with Cracked Pepper cheese
- 1 cup tandoori chicken
- 1 recipe pizza dough
Tandoori Chicken Directions:
- In a bowl, mix together chicken cubes and marinade. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat skillet on medium high-heat and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
- In a stand mixer, mix together warm water, maple syrup, olive oil, and instant yeast. Add remaining dry ingredients and blend with dough hook until dough comes together. Remove from bowl and place into a greased bowl. Let rise for 30 minutes covered in a warm area.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil at medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes until translucent. Add spices and mix. Add strained tomatoes and maple syrup. Cook for 5-7 minutes until sauce darkens and thickens. Remove from heat.
Tandoori Braided Chicken Directions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease with olive oil. Using hands, spread dough out into a rectangle shape.
- Spread pizza sauce down the middle of the dough. Top with veggies, chicken, and Bothwell cheese.
- Cut 8 strips on an angle on each side. Carefully overlap dough strips over stuffing.
- Brush pastry with egg wash. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, until browned.