There is nothing worst than a “healthy” dessert that doesn’t taste good. Trust me, I have a husband and toddler that will tell me right to my face. I know a recipe isn’t blog worthy when my husband says it “tastes healthy” and my toddler won’t taste seconds. So, when I develop a recipe that my family is grabbing seconds and thirds of, I know it’s a winner. These two bite brownies are a definite winner.
I made my Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins the week before and had some zucchini leftover. Someone had commented on my Instagram about using zucchini in chocolate cake so it got me thinking about how it would work in brownies. The thing with zucchini is that it releases water so it can be a tricky add in to baked goods. In this recipe, it works wonderfully and eliminates the need for eggs or milk! The end result is a fudgy brownie that sneaks in veggies without anyone complaining. Win-win for this Dietitian Momma!
Look at that centre! Perfect balance of fudgy and a nice crumb.
After having my second baby, I have limited time in the kitchen. I love that these brownies come together in just 1 bowl! Using a mini muffin pan helps keep them bite size for my toddler and helps me with portion control.
Interestingly enough, I had to take breaks while making the batter to attend to my baby. I realized that the zucchini was releasing water and it actually helped me make a better batter! Otherwise I would’ve added some milk at the beginning and it would’ve turned out more cakey. So if you feel like your batter isn’t coming together (like below), let it sit for a few minutes and then mix again until it looks just right.
Batter right after mixing (above). Batter 5 minutes after sitting and mixing (below).
One bowl. Two bite. Healthy. Egg-less. Hidden veggies. Dairy-free (if you skip the chocolate chips). Delicious.
Do you need anymore reasons to make these?!
One Bowl Eggless Healthy Zucchini BrowniesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup date syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup ground almonds (almond flour)
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup sifted cocoa powder
- dark chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix together shredded zucchini, melted coconut oil, date syrup, and vanilla. Let sit for 5 minutes. Some moisture may release from the zucchini.
- In the bowl, add ground almonds, salt, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and sift in cocoa powder. Mix until combined.
- Grease mini muffin pan and scoop 1 tablespoon per brownie. Optional: top with 3-4 dark chocolate chips for each brownie.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 11 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove. Let cool completely.