If you are on Instagram, you have likely seen the trendy #MeatlessMonday, a hashtag to promote plant-based meals. Even if you are not a vegetarian, incorporating more vegetables and plant-based foods can help you eat in a healthier and more sustainable manner. Trying a meatless meal on Mondays is a great start! This recipe for veggie burgers was inspired by a video I saw on Facebook – once I saw how easy they are to make, I decided to try making my own.
While most veggie burgers use black beans as a base, this recipe uses black beans, quinoa, and lentils. Talk about triple threat! To make these burgers even easier, cook your quinoa and lentils the night before. Make extra quinoa and lentils so you have them on hand throughout the week to use in other recipes like salads, stews, and soups.
These veggie burgers are:
High in fibre
Packed with protein
Rich in iron
The United Nations declared 2016 the International Year of Pulses. Take the #pulsepledge here and celebrate with this veggie burger recipe!
I love topping my burgers with sauteed mushrooms!
Veggie BurgersPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 Cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 19oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup split red lentils, cooked
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 egg
- 1 cup quick oats
- In a pan, heat Canola oil on medium heat and add chopped onions. Saute onions for 2-5 minutes or until softened. Add minced garlic, mushrooms, and spices. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes and taste to adjust seasonings. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, add black beans, lentils, quinoa, and egg. Pulse until a puree has been formed. Spoon into a large mixing bowl. Add quick oats and mix with a large spoon.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop bean mixture and create a patty with your hand. Place on a tray with parchment paper.
- Heat 1 tsp Canola oil in a pan on medium heat. Place 1-2 burgers on pan and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes or until brown. Place on buns with favourite burger toppings and serve with a salad.