I have been on a zucchini kick lately (see here for my last zucchini recipe). Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable, it can be used in sweet and savoury recipes. One of my favourite things to do with zucchini is to make them into zucchini boats. It is a simple, delicious, and fun way to eat your vegetables. Kids love them too! For this version of zucchini boats, I used the classic flavours of lasagna using tomatoes and ricotta cheese. These Lasagna Zucchini Boats can be served as a side dish (easy way to make #halfyourplate veggies!) or serve more as a main course for your #MeatlessMonday meal.
Not only are Lasagna Zucchini Boats delicious, they are also nutritious! These Lasagna Zucchini Boats are:
Low in carbs
High in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and zinc
To make Lasagna Zucchini Boats an easy part of your weeknight meal, chop the mushrooms and scoop out the lasagna boats beforehand.
I used a melon baller to scoop out my zucchini boats, which made it super easy!
Be careful not to scoop out too much of the zucchini flesh, otherwise the bottom of the zucchini may tear.
Filled and ready to be topped with ricotta!
Topping the zucchini boats with the ricotta gives it that classic lasagna flavour.
I hope you try this recipe out! If you have kids, this is a great recipe to make with them and get them excited about eating their veggies.
Lasagna Zucchini BoatsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 5 zucchinis sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 tsp canola oil
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- about 1 cup of zucchini finely chopped (from the middle of zucchini)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place zucchini halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a melon baller or a knife to scoop out the middle part of the zucchini. Chop the zucchini finely and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and cook for about 2 minutes or until softened. Add minced garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, and spices. Stir until evenly combined and add crushed tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms have softened. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Remove from heat.
- Evenly spoon sauce mixture into zucchini boats. Top with dollops of ricotta cheese. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes, until cheese bubbles. Let cool slightly before serving.