Today I woke up to political news that shook me in ways I never could have imagined. I spent the whole morning half-heartedly working but mostly thinking about what this would mean for my family. To be completely honest, I was ready to take the rest of the week off and stay offline to recollect my thoughts. When my 16 month old daughter woke up and I re-started my morning with her, something changed in me. Her laughter and overall excitement to start the day sparked something in me. It ignited the need for hope. Hope for a better tomorrow. As a parent, I will always work towards instilling hope in my daughter, regardless of the turmoil that may exist in her day to day life or at a larger scale.
So with this new found hope, I decided to head into the kitchen and make a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies with my daughter. An afternoon in a messy kitchen with my toddler, the smell of freshly baked cookies, and tall glasses of milk was exactly what I needed to turn my day around.
I decided to have some fun and pair these Chocolate Chip Cookies with “broccoli” 😉
Whatever you may be feeling today, I hope you channel your positive energy and do something with your loved ones….maybe even make a batch of these chocolate chip cookies!
These Chocolate Chip Cookies are packed with fibre goodness, making it a perfect treat for me to share with my toddler.
I Dietitian-approved this recipe by:
Swapping white flour with: wheat flour, wheat bran, and wheat germ.
Adding in more fibre goodness with oats and ground flaxseed.
Using a teaspoon to portion out the batter for smaller cookies.
Using dark chocolate chips.
Using wheat germ, wheat bran and wheat flour in your recipes is a great way to add fibre to your diet. Fibre is important for digestive health and for preventing diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. They are also high in many vitamins and minerals such as phosphorus and B vitamins which give your body energy and are essential for the growth and development of your body. Wheat germ is also high in vitamin E, which is a vitamin that helps protect the cells in your body.
Most importantly, these chocolate chip cookies taste delicious! It was the perfect treat to uplift my spirits. I made enough to share with my neighbours so that they too can join in on the positive energy!
Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup instant oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp wheat bran
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix together butter and brown sugar using a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Add in egg and vanilla and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, instant oats, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, wheat bran, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix with a large spoon until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and let cook on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cook on wire rack.